This page would ideally always be under construction. You are invited to contribute.
This heading should be very brief. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
Relationship to Alma. The relationship of Chapters 52-53 to the rest of Alma is discussed at Alma.
Message. Themes, symbols, and doctrinal points emphasized in Chapters 52-53 include:
This section is for detailed discussion such as the meaning of a symbol, how a doctrinal point is developed throughout a passage, or insights that can be further developed in the future. Contributions may range from polished paragraphs down to a single bullet point. The focus, however, should always be on understanding the scriptural text consistent with LDS doctrine. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
This section is for questions along the lines of "I still don't understand ..." Please do not be shy. The point of these questions is to identify things that still need to be addressed on this page. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
Prompts for life application
This section is for prompts that suggest ways in which a passage can influence a person's life. Prompts may be appropriate either for private self reflection or for a class discussion. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
Prompts for further study
This section is for prompts that invite us to think about a passage more deeply or in a new way. These are not necessarily questions that beg for answers, but rather prompts along the lines of "Have you ever thought about ..." Prompts are most helpful when they are developed individually, thoughtfully, and with enough background information to clearly indicate a particular direction for further study or thought. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
- Alma 52:1-5: Why does Mormon go to great pains to let us know that Amalickiah was killed on the very first day of the Nephite new year?
- Alma 53:1: Where there no cultural or priesthood requirements for the burial of Nephites who died?
- Alma 53:1: How does using prisoners of war for labor differ from modern rules of warfare?
- Alma 53:2: Who was living in Mulek when Lehi took it over? Were there any descendants of the Mulekites?
- Alma 53:2: What does it mean that Moroni and Lehi were "beloved by all the people of Nephi"? What source does Mormon have for this statement?
- Alma 53:3: In what circumstances should we try to get our enemies to do work for us?
- Alma 53:4: Was there a bridge and a gate? How were these not weak spots for the defense of the city?
This section is for listing links and print resources, including those that are also cited elsewhere on this page. A short comment about the particular strengths of a resource can be helpful. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
Footnotes are not required but are encouraged for factual assertions that average readers cannot easily evaluate for themselves (such as the date of King Solomon’s death or the nuanced definition of a Greek word). In contrast, insights rarely benefit from footnoting, and the focus of this page should always remain on the scriptures themselves rather than what someone has said about them. Links are actively encouraged on all sections of this page, and links to authoritative sources (such as Strong's Bible Concordance or the Joseph Smith Papers) are preferable to footnotes.