From Feast upon the Word (http://feastupontheword.org). Copyright, Feast upon the Word.
- Moses 1:41-42: "show them not unto any except them that believe"
- Alma 12:9: "impart only according to... heed and dilegence"
- "And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him."
- Matt 13:11-15: "Therefore speak I unto them in parables"
- "He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."
- 1 Ne 10:19: he that diligently seeketh shall find....
- Christ thanks Father for hiding things from wise and revealing to babes
- Matt 11:25: "At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes."
- Luke 10:21: "In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight."
- 2 Cor 4:3-4: "god of this world hath blinded the minds"
- "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the flight of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of hGod, should shine unto them."
- Eph 3:9: "mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid"
- "And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:"
- Col 1:26-27: "mystery which hath been hid from ages...but not is made manifest"
- "Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:"
- Col 2:2-3, 8: "God... in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom"
- "That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.... Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."
- 2 Ne 9:43: "things of wise and prudent shall be hid"
- "But the things of the wise and the prudent shall be hid from them forever—yea, that happiness which is prepared for the saints."
- Jacob 5:14, 20: "And it came to pass that the Lord of the vineyard went his way, and hid the natural branches of the tame olive-tree in the nethermost parts of the vineyard, some in one and some in another, according to his will and pleasure.... And it came to pass that they went forth whither the master had hid the natural branches of the tree, and he said unto the servant: Behold these; and he beheld the first that it had brought forth much fruit; and he beheld also that it was good. And he said unto the servant: Take of the fruit thereof, and lay it up against the season, that I may preserve it unto mine own self; for behold, said he, this long time have I nourished it, and it hath brought forth much fruit."
- Ether 4:13, 15: "Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.... Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel."
- Moses 7:69: "Zion is fled"
- Rev 18:4: "come out of her my people"
- Morm 5:12 :"Now these things are written unto the remnant of the house of Jacob; and they are written after this manner, because it is known of God that wickedness will not bring them forth unto them; and they are to be hid up unto the Lord that they may come forth in his own due time."
- 1 Ne 13:35: "For, behold, saith the Lamb: I will manifest myself unto thy seed, that they shall write many things which I shall minister unto them, which shall be plain and precious; and after thy seed shall be destroyed, and dwindle in unbelief, and also the seed of thy brethren, behold, these things shall be hid up, to come forth unto the Gentiles, by the gift and power of the Lamb."
- 2 Ne 27:12 "Wherefore, at that day when the book shall be delivered unto the man of whom I have spoken, the book shall be hid from the eyes of the world, that the eyes of none shall behold it save it be that three witnesses shall behold it, by the power of God, besides him to whom the book shall be delivered; and they shall testify to the truth of the book and the things therein."
Hiding from God
- Ex 3:6: "Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God."
- Adam and Eve in the Garden....
God hiding from man
- Isa 64:7: "And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities."
- Ether 11:13: prophets mourned and withdrew
- Alma 13:23: plainness b/c they were wanderers
- 2 Ne 32:7: "I, Nephi, cannot say more; the Spirit stoppeth mine utterance... for they will not search knowledge, no understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness" (cf. 2 Ne 5:5-10--they started as a righteous group fleeing an unrighteous location)
- 1 Ne 21:2: (cf. Isa 49:2) "And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;"
- 3 Ne 22:8: "In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment, but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer."
- 3 Ne 28:25: "Behold, I was about to write the names of those who were never to taste of death, but the Lord forbade; therefore I write them not, for they are hid from the world."
- Zeph 2:3: "Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek brighteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD’s anger."