Help:Authenticating e-mail address
There are several advantages to authenticating (verifying) your e-mail address. When you are logged in with an account where the e-mail address has been authenticated, you can:
- edit pages without answering math problems
- e-mail other users
- setup a watch-list of pages and receive alerts by e-mail
Instructions: How to authenticate your e-mail address
2. If you haven't already done so, add your e-mail address to your preferences
An e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address. Follow the instructions in that e-mail.
3. Return to the preferences page and check the boxes you'd like in the section "e-mail" (This is on the bottom right of the page user-profile tab.) Options include:
- Reveal my e-mail address in notification mails
- E-mail me when a page I'm watching is changed
- E-mail me when my user talk page is changed
- E-mail me also for minor edits of pages
- Enable e-mail from other users '***recommended*** (This will allow others to e-mail you by using the e-mail user page, without having to know your e-mail address. An alternative way to allow others to e-mail you would be, for example, to put it on your user page. However, putting your e-mail address on your user page (or any page on the internet that is publicly accessible) will increase your spam.