There are many scriptures that talk about God receiving us. However, there are also several scriptures that talk about us receiving gifts from God. Since an electronic scripture search of "receive" doesn't separate out these two kinds of receive, I want to keep track of them on this page below.
I think this issue is important for understanding the theological question of grace and works: what is a gift from God vs. what do we have to "earn" through efforts on our part? I think an interesting and related and perhaps even clarifying notion is that of "coming unto Christ." I think this captures the idea well and resolves any false dichotomies between grace, faith, and works, and is along the lines of what Blake Ostler is proposing in his 2nd book (I'm thinking here of his oft-referenced image of God holding his arms out in an open embrace, hoping we will repent by turning from our sins and turning toward Him).
[This page was originally inspired by Mark Butler's comment here].
What do we receive from God?
- Enos 1:2: "And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins."
- Notice the wrestle here before Enos receives remission of his sins.
- Mosiah 3:13: "[W]hosoever should believe that Christ should come, the same might receive remission of their sins."
- Mosiah 18:26: "And the priests were not to depend upon the people for their support; but for their labor they were to receive the grace of God, that they might wax strong in the Spirit."
- Alma 5:14: "Have ye received his image in your countenances?"
- Alma 22:16: "[I]f thou wilt repent of all thy sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest."
- Alma 34:38: "That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ;"
- Alma 38:8: "[A]nd never, until I did cry out unto the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy, did I receive a dremission of my sins."
- 3 Ne 9:17: "And as many as have received me, to them have I given to become the sons of God."
- 3 Ne 11:37: "And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things."