User:RobertC/Jehovah and Father
From Feast upon the Word (http://feastupontheword.org). Copyright, Feast upon the Word.
Jesus Christ as Jehovah (and Father)
- John 8:58: Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
- 1 Cor 10:1-5: MOREOVER, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
- 3 Ne 15:5: Behold, I am he that gave the law, and I am he who covenanted with my people Israel; therefore, the law in me is fulfilled, for I have come to fulfil the law; therefore it hath an end.
- Articles of Faith by James E. Talmage, pp. 465-473 (Appendix 2).
- This includes a special publication entitled "The Father and The Son: A Doctrinal Exposition by the Twelve and the First Presidency." This publication identifies Christ as the father of this earth, the father of our spiritual birth, and the Father by divine investiture of authority.
- Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage, Chapter 4, "The Antemortal Godship of Christ", pp. 32-41.
- Changing theology: Some claim that the LDS teaching of Jesus Christ being Jehovah is new to the 20th century, not something that the early restoration prophets taught. The claim seems to rest on a strict interpretation of Elohim referring only to the Father of Jesus Christ (isn't Elohim plural in Hebrew??). Note, some of the quotes in the following articles do not seem to directly support the argument as claimed.
- Jehovah As Father: The Development of the Mormon Jehovah Doctrine, by Boyd Kirkland, in Sunstone v. 9 no. 2.
- Bible Dictionary entry on Jehovah.
- "Although Ex 6:3 states that the God of Israel was not known by the name Jehovah before Moses’ time, latter-day revelation tells us otherwise (Abr 1:16; Abr 2:8; cf. JST Ex 6:3; see also Gen 22:14)."
- Guide to the Scriptures entry on Jehovah.
- Topical Guide entry on Jehovah.
- See verses containing the phrase "in the Father". If, in a scriptural sense, the Son is in the Father and the Father is in the Son, distinguishing who's who is both problematic and pointless.
- FARMS review by Paulsen & Bruening: A review of Kurt Widmer's Mormonism and the Nature of God: A Theological Evolution, 1830–1915, Provo, Utah: FARMS, 2001.
- Moses 1 in lesson manual: In the Church's Old Testament lesson manual for Moses 1, God is identified as Jehovah.