1 Ne 12:1-12
From Feast upon the Word (http://feastupontheword.org). Copyright, Feast upon the Word.
This page would ideally always be under construction. You are invited to contribute.
This heading should be brief and may include an outline of the passage. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
The relationship of Verses 1-12 to the rest of Chapter 12 is discussed at First Nephi 12.
This heading is for more detailed discussions of all or part of a passage. Discussion may include the meaning of a particular word, how a doctrinal point is developed throughout the passage, insights to be developed in the future, and other items. Contributions may range from polished paragraphs down to a single bullet point. The focus, however, should always be on understanding the scriptural text consistent with LDS doctrine. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
 Points to ponder
This heading is for prompts that suggest ways in which all or part of this passage can influence a person's life. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
 I have a question
This heading is for unanswered questions and is an important part of the continual effort to improve this wiki. Please do not be shy, as even a basic or "stupid" question can identify things that need to be improved on this page. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
 Verse 1
- Was Nephi prevented from seeing these people up close and determining their exact identities?
 Verse 2
- Why will there be so much destruction in the last days?
 Verse 3
- Why doesn't Nephi say "because of wars and contentions"?
 Verse 4
- Why doesn't Nephi pair valleys with mountains, like Ezekiel and Isaiah do?
 Verse 5
- Why did the mist turn into a vapor?
 Verse 6
- What does it mean to see "the heavens open"?
- How does the LORD descend from heaven? Who else has ever descended from heaven?
 Verse 7
- Were they chosen after they were ordained?
 Verse 8
- Why is this the only place in the scriptures where "Twelve Disciples" is capitalized?
 Verse 9
- An angel tells Nephi that the Twelve Apostles will judge the twelve tribes of Israel. Is this a reference to what will happen at the judgement day or does this judgement happen at some other time?
 Verse 10
- What does it mean to say that these individuals are righteous forever?
 Verse 11
- We know that wickedness returned to Nephite society between 194 and 245 AD (see 4 Ne 1:20 and 4 Ne 1:40). The same chapter tells us that the first generation passed away between 71 and 110 AD (see 4 Ne 1:14 and 4 Ne 1:18) and that the second generation was almost gone by 200 AD (see 4 Ne 1:22). Thus it seems that in 4 Nephi each generation lasted about 100 years. So why is Nephi saying that Nephite society did not become wicked until the third generation had passed and the fourth or fifth had started?
 Verse 12
- Why did Nephi see his people's faith dwindle in later generations?
This heading is for listing links and print resources, including those cited in the notes. A short comment about the particular strengths of a resource can be helpful. Click the link above and to the right to edit or add content to this heading. →
Footnotes are not required but are encouraged for factual assertions that average readers cannot easily evaluate for themselves, such as the date of King Solomon’s death or the nuanced definition of a Greek word. In contrast, insights rarely benefit from footnoting, and the focus of this page should always remain on the scriptures themselves rather than what someone has said about them. Links are actively encouraged on all sections of this page, and links to authoritative sources are preferable to footnotes.